Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing #15

That video was very thought provoking to say the least. Even when I was going to college for my teaching degree, I didn't receive what I needed to actually do the job. Some of the only things that I learned or "took" with me for my teaching job were games and lesson plans. So I know how those students feel. I try to do the same in my library program....have the kids take something useful from my lessons or book talks that will either help them out during school or promote them to read more.

I do use a lot of the 2.0 web devices: flickr, facebook, etc. I check my facebook probably several times a day, since now all my high school, family, and local friends are available for chatting! But being a librarian 2.0 in a public school feels restricted. I would love to have a myspace page or blog that my students could discuss or use without all the restrictions, but feel the risks along with the district in private policy.

So many things are changing too fast to keep up with, I sometimes even worry about job security. There was a local school district that "got rid" of all of their librarians, and the libraries are run by para-professionals--I guess they don't know about Keith Curry-Lance and "School Libraries and Student Success".
But it still has me worried.

One of my goals this year is to purchase more online books and reference materials for research and reading. I would also like to teach the google tools my students so that they will have their material readily available to print (the students are not allowed to access home email at our school). I would also like to have more playaways for availability (if money was not an issue)!!

After reading several of the articles I WANT to stay current and provide all the lastest technological needs for my patrons. The questions are (being in public school): how much will it cost, will it help with accountablility and state testing, and will it be in the best interest of the school? Once these answers are established then I can press on with what my patrons needs and wants are in technology.

2 comments:

  1. Rest assured you are an agent of change, if for no other reason than you want to be and that is a start!

    I know you feel they are small changes, but changes nonetheless. Since Googledocs is avalable to you, show the kids everything possible about that. If image generators are blocked do some at home and bring them in and use them...pretty soon others will want the cute things too and will be asking!

    Yes, we live in "scary" times when one school district does it, will it be like dominoes around us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the video was eye-opening. College education seems less relevant to the real world than it did in our day, and in our day, there was an abundance of busy work and irrelevant classes. I don't think technology is the only answer, but it is certainly part of the answer.
    Good for you for wanting and implementing change in your library! Job security is an issue for us all, but we need to "keep on keepin' on."

    ReplyDelete